Sunday, December 25, 2005

Christmas Day at Gautier Dec 25


I'm having a great day here in MS. We (Steve, Bill and I)went to church this morning and then Steve and I were invited to a member's home for dinner and the day. It was so nice and I was just to relax and not help. For dinner we had turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, dressing, corn casserole, sweet potato casserole (got this recipe as was delicious), green bean casserole, peas and rolls. There was a couple from Iowa who are working at the church and living in their motor home there who were also invited for dinner - 10 of us all together. Too much food and I have a bunch of leftovers to take back with me. I won't have to go out for a meal for the next day or two. Then we had several desserts later in the afternoon. Another good part of today is that Gerry Ann allowed me to bring my laundry over. It's hard to find a laundrymat and when you do, people stand in line as so many lost their washers and dryers. So this is a blessing for me. These people are so accepting of us as volunteers and hear many thank you's.

It was special to talk to many of you this morning after church. I wasn't expecting that at all. I think of you back there and hope all is going well. We had quite a thunderstorm last night during the service at 5 pm. So the camp sites are really flooded. I don't know what they will do to keep us dry in the tents as most of them leak. It has been an experience living in a tent city. On the other half of the baseball field, separated with a fence, are many of the local families living in the Army green tents. FEMA built them a nice shower building, provide their meals in the nice big heated tent but we don't mix much with them.

Thanks to Wes and Joan Carter, I'm really enjoying staying in their RV for a couple days. I will stay tonite yet and then move over to the camp site Mon. There will be 34 people coming in the afternoon for the week. Most of the jobs now are doing sheetrock, taping, mudding getting walls ready to paint. Some days it gets harder to buy sheetrock and the process has only begun.

1 Comments:

At 6:16 AM, Blogger First Pres Katrina Project said...

Glad you're comfortable, Plyllis, and Merry Christmas to you, too! See you Wednesday or Thursday.
Wes and Joan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home