Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Life in a day at Gautier with HPC May 10

J R came to MS from Hillsboro this week and has taken a lot of photos which he downloaded for me to use. This way I get on some of the pictures. Check yesterday as I added some pictures to that day also. But I want to describe a day in their life here.


The group from Oregon last month left one of their magnetic signs to be passed on to the next OR group. However a couple CO people reacted a little and doctored it up.


The day starts with everyone helping with breakfast or setting out all the makings for them to make their lunch. Clean up and then a trip to the tool tent, which is well stocked and kept orderly. (Every couple days I go in and resort things to their proper place.) I'm helping Bob, Jim and Molly get the items they will need to do drywall, taping, some electrical, etc.


They are to take breaks every hour in this heat and humidity and replenish with water. This is a lunch break that day. Some homeowners bring them drinks and snacks also. They all learned how to do taping the proper way as Jim is explaining to Molly. I heard the ladies did an excellent job.



When I stopped that day with extra supplies a debris truck was there across the street picking up debris. This must be insulation, sheetrock, contents, etc that are being disposed of, no food. The guy sits on the lift operating the claws to get it and dump it into the truck. Then they move on to the next spot. Debris is taken to a couple landfills near Gulfport and burned. The piles aren't nearly as huge as the ones I saw in Dec.


With a small group, everyone helps with the meals but the guys do the cooking. After dinner we have our sharing time, devotions, or whatever. I'm giving a geography lesson as several wondered where the water was located in relation to homes they were working on. I have maps and love explaining where to go.

Blessings to you, Phyllis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home