Saturday, May 27, 2006

A Hot day in the village May 27

It is hot today or seems especially hot. By 8 am we were all sweaty and shirts were wet after loading the cars. I'm glad both groups left after breakfast as they would have fried on the roof today. There is a small corner section of the roof left but I will get someone to finish it next week. Both groups worked on the house with 3 or 4 concentrating on doing some of the interior work and the overhang to her door. There was a lot of repair work as they had to replace much of the sheathing under the tar paper, fascia, ridge vents. They installed insulation in the attic but did it from the roof when it was open. One guy handled all the insulation which is hot, sticky work. These 2 crews were among the best I've had. They stayed with the jobs, didn't complain about the heat, lack of sleep, were up early to do breakfast, go back to the job site after dinner but it's pleasant by 5 pm with a breeze. One lady cleaned all the showers and Potties every day which allowed the others to leave early. Sometimes she stayed in the office if I needed to be gone or she went late to the job site.

Last week I realized there were no more love bugs around. I sure don't miss them.

I was to have a crew come from GA last night but they couldn't get enough people to come this weekend so they cancelled. Then I received a message on the group to arrive on Sun. Their team leader had a heart attack so that group cancelled, too. So instead of having 40 people in the village, I will only have 13. Larger groups are better and easier to work with as I can spread the jobs around better. June will be quite full every week. Every week I receive calls from people needing assistance or yesterday 2 ladies stopped by in person. We could only work on one site this week so I'm accumulating more than what are being finished. There were also some visitors this week to see the village as they may be coming back in the fall.

We have worked with the air conditioners this week and have maybe finally figured out how to keep them running without tripping the breakers. Some of it depends on where the tubing is placed and we learned how to connect the yellow tubing correctly. There were no operating manuals with these so a lot of trial and error. Yesterday the large dorm tent was comfortable for a few people to take a nap in the afternoon. These huts get extremely hot during the day and are cool at night. But I can leave the village knowing that some improvements have been made. Someone will have to do the ductwork into the huts after I leave though.

Blessings to you. Have a good Sunday and attend church. Memorial Day is special to me as I'm quite military oriented and know the price our military pays for us to have the freedom to worship, to speak, and live our lives.

Phyllis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home