Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Surprises for the day May 16

Monday is usually a slower morning getting the groups out to the work site as they are getting their tools, directions to the home, what is involved with the job, etc. The weather has been cool these few days so has been nice for the roofing crew although it is hot around noon before the breezes come in. Mon night was cold and many were scrambling for more covers. It was 54 degrees this morning and should be again tomorrow and that's cool sleeping outdoors. Some people brought only sheets or blankets and not sleeping bags so were cold. This is unusual weather but great for the roofers as we have many to do.

My first surprise on Mon was finding a little critter in my kitchen area about noon. I went down for lunch and saw this tail, then a body by the sinks. It was a little possum chewing on a pot scrubber that had food scraps in it. I shooed him away after I recovered from the shock and he went under the platform next to the water heater so must have his nest down there. A couple hours later I went back to the kitchen and something was moved so I looked and he had fallen into the sink and couldn't get out. They are deep sinks so he was trapped. When the crews came back I got someone to get him out as I didn't want the cooks to find him. This guy picks him up by the tail and carrying it around. Someone else took him down to the woods in back of us. I have to admit he was kinda cute but I do not like mice or rats. Everytime I went to the kitchen today, I would look around. The previous manager said critters are out day or night and to keep the place closed up.

Then late afternoon I got a phone call that my washer and dryer were at the Orange Grove church and I was to come get it. My tool trailers were there, also, and were filled with tools so I made a trip over to pick up the washer and dryer and bring one trailer home. They aren't hooked up yet but need the propane people to come out to do the dryer. Someone will plumb my washer; then I will be in business. There are really a lot of nice tools in the trailer: 2 generators, 2 air compressors,2 pneumatic roofing nailers, finishing nailers, brad nailers, reciprocating saws, 6 cordless drill/drivers, ladders, cords, wheelbarrows, 6 drywall screw guns, sets of screwdrivers, hammers, plier sets, staple guns, wrenches, utility knives, a pressure washer, roofing spades,etc. So today another person and I did an inventory and mark each item with PDA. Very impressive.

One of the volunteers had asked his parents from New Orleans area to bring seafood gumbo over for dinner tonite. Their house was totally spared but relatives lost their homes. The food was good and she also brought red beans with rice, dessert. We feasted. A family from Biloxi came for dinner tonite also who knew one of the volunteers and they shared their story of staying in their house. The house is on concrete pillars 22 feet high and water surge was 21 feet high. He had a couple pictures. They were attaching devices to their bodies that would float as they were sure they would end up in the water. But they talked about it being like a war zone for several days afterwards and no food, little water, no cars as they were washed away, major damage to the house and they have now just moved back into it after he rebuilt it, stronger but next time they leave. Everyone had compared the storm to Camille and survived it but it was a small storm in diameter while Katrina was about 10 times bigger in area so it covered so much more land. Several people in their neighborhood died that day. Their 9 year old son really loved my village and thought it would be neat to stay here for a week.

Enough excitement for the day so I'm going to bed. Wed I'm taking the day off as another manager is coming to stay in my village.
Phyllis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home