Saturday, May 20, 2006

Finally Saturday, May 20

I've had a busy last few days. Wed I took time away from the village as another manager came and stayed for the day. I got my hair cut finally. I did my laundry. Then I went to Biloxi to see some of the devastation but is a little difficult to drive and look. I stopped a few times to take some pictures. Each town has a beach blvd which was hard hit. Where I drove, there were only parts of 2 structures between the water and Beach Blvd. Just amazing. Stopped at a cemetery which has been written about with damage.

Then I stopped over at the Salvation Army area where Beaverton Foursquare houses its volunteers. I keep in contact with Pastor Mike Mercer and he was here this past week. He didn't have time to show me around but I found someone else to give me the tour. They are housed under the stands of a ball stadium which has showers and bathrooms. They partitioned off areas for several rooms to hold 8 people (4 bunk beds so not much space). It dark down there but is air conditioned and has a kitchen (former concession stand). It works very well for them. One of these days he wants to come see my village but doesn't have much time as I leave May 31.

Thur we had the village managers' meeting in Pearlington so over an hour drive for me. They are in the area where the towns are wiped off the map. Village in on sand and more primitive and hotter than mine. It is so sad to see so many structures mostly gone, lots of trailers but people are starting to come back.

The group this week left this morning. They think I can relax, have the day to myself!!! If only people knew what I did on weekends. I go thru each hut, checking them before the next group comes, I clean up the tool tent as people just don't get many things put back where they belong (that's the chaos area of the village), check messages, paperwork, etc. Today my machine holding ice was delivered. I had been told it would be 60 inches long. We built a platform for it and had a space. Well, it was 72 inches long so wouldn't fit where we had planned. So I had to rearrange the dining area, move the drinks to another table, kept only the coffee pots in the original space with a smaller table, redo the tables for eating. Of course, there's no one else in the village today.

My washer was plumbed in yesterday so did a load of kitchen towels today. I only have cold water so far and no dryer until the propane people come out to finish hooking up the gas. But there is a clothesline and a nice breeze so that will do. Now I can do laundry without leaving the village unattended. That tub is huge compared to the washers at the laundrymat. Day is about done for me. I do get some of reading done on weekends but am behind trying to go thru the Bible in a year.

Enough for today. I will fill you in on the rest of my weekend tomorrow. Stay tuned.
Blessings to you.

Phyllis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home