Saturday, January 07, 2006

Back in Oregon Jan 6

I returned back to Oregon Wed evening Jan 4. It was good to come home to a bed instead of an army cot and indoor plumbing. I had a good flight but it seems long coming from Atlanta. On my way to the airport in Gulfport, we went thru a section of Keesler Air Force Base which has closed but the quarters were really damaged, a lot of trees on the homes.

I wanted to give you an accounting of the money everyone contributed to Katrina recovery efforts.
$100 to D'lberville Free Medical Clinic - for volunteers and locals
$100 to Sunny who provides free meals for about 25 families a day
$375 for giftcards to the children at Gautier Presby Church
$1486 for sheetrock, water heater, supplies, etc to several families
$700 in giftcards given to camp manager to give to families needing assistance yet
$925 for purchases of extension ladder, shop vac, plumbing supplies to hook up sinks at camp, plywood to make platforms, tools that groups would need on the job site, supplies for office, etc
$400 for my airfare and meals

thank you all for your generous gifts as it really blessed and overwhelmed me. I thank you for your prayers as I stayed well, slept as well there as at home. And I really did have a good time working with the volunteers who came from many states and the families needing our assistance. They never complained but were so thankful for everything we did, even if they waited weeks for jobs to be completed. They are resilient people and most of them trusted in the Lord for whatever.

I will do one more blog with some of the stories of the people or events. Blessings to you.
Phyllis

1 Comments:

At 5:53 PM, Blogger First Pres Katrina Project said...

Welcome back home to Hillsboro, Phyllis. Congratulations on a wonderful mission of service to Katrina victims in the Mississippi Gulf Coast, where everyone I spoke with praised your hard work. Thank you for your dedication, good humor, sergeant's stripes and everything else you did to improve life here. God Bless!
Wes and Joan Carter, Salem First Pres

 

Post a Comment

<< Home