Sunday, May 28, 2006

My last Sunday at Gautier May 28

It is always a pleasure to attend church on Sunday, a day to worship and praise our Lord. Today was my last Sunday at Gautier Presby. When I stood up to introduce the group from my village, I let them know that this was my last one. After 2 months I've gotten to know a few people and had to share some hugs. But I told them I would be back sometime. They are trying to live a normal life but half of the people in attendance on Sun are volunteers who are only here for a week, staying at my village or at the church. But they welcome all of us and are so thankful for the volunteers who are helping them get back into their homes.

I want to share an interaction that happened to me. A couple weeks ago a couple came into my village looking for a place to stay for a few nights. I didn't know what to do as I have only volunteers here and they looked pretty tough. He had a job but the boss had left for a few days so they had no place to stay, no work to do, no money. There was one other person here with me and we decided to call Gautier Presby church to see if they could stay over there. When I gave them directions, I found out they were walking so I went to get them water. As I'm heading to the dining area, the thought comes to me about entertaining angels unaware. But as I'm walking back with the water, I realize it is lunchtime, so I invite them to have lunch. He declined but she admitted she was hungry as they hadn't eaten since the night before. So I fix some lunch for them and for me and sit and eat with them. We talk and find out they had come from FL with a good job offer but it wasn't panning out as planned. A lot of things seemed strange but I felt okay helping them. I drove them to the church and wondered if I'd see them again. The next evening (Wed) I go to the vespers service at church and they are there. On Sun they were attending church also and I talked with them. He had found some paid work or worked as a volunteer and she was helping out at the church, too. For now they have a place to stay (in a tent on the church grounds), food to eat and making friends. Today when I talked to her, she told me they were going to join the church. They found a place to rent and would move in this week. Their children are in FL and will come after school is out. Today she gave me a big hug and thanked me for helping them. I almost didn't go the extra mile to help them but look at the blessing I would have missed. We never know when God puts opportunities in our path. THANK YOU LORD!!

Normally on Sun the volunteer groups get to do their own thing, tour some of areas that were devastated, etc. The homeowners need a day for themselves, also, if they have had groups in their home all week. It is a different routine for them to have 6 or 10 people in and out, lack of privacy, need to be available.

One of the fun things of my job is talking with the team leader of groups that are planning to come to this village so I talked with 3 team leaders today. I love my village, think it is a neat place so I try do my best PR job to encourage these groups. I want them to have a pleasant experience while they are here in MS and this is their home for a week. I answer all their questions which can cover a wide range of topics, tell them a little of what they may experience down here, what kinds of jobs there are. People apologize for taking my time but that is a big part of my job which I enjoy.

Blessings to you. God loves you and so do I.
Phyllis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home