Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Mid week and busy Oct 25

It hardly seems that a week has gone by since my last blog entry. Some days get busy and I quit at night by 9 pm. After that it's my time to unwind, read, go to bed, etc.

Last Thur Oct 19 we had a manager's meeting in Luling village on the south side of New Orleans which is 2 1/2 hours from Gautier. We left at 9 am and didn't get home until 5 pm which is hard. I had to have everything there for the people doing dinner and they were in the midst of preparation when we got home. The meetings are good but someone ends driving a lot. I got a nice blue windbreaker with the PDA symbols on it as there happened to be an extra jacket.

I have used that jacket often this week as we got down into the 40's on 2 nights. Many of the people got cold as they were expecting warm weather. They used all my extra blankets and sleeping bags, slept with a couple layers of clothes on. I have 54 people here this week which makes a pretty full village. Amounts of food seem to disappear as people eat much more than the suggested serving sizes but they are working hard each day.

Last week on one day I got out to visit 4 of the 5 work sites which I need to do each week. The volunteers like to have their "boss" come to see what they are doing. Yesterday I visited 2 sites but we have 8 jobs going. There are 2 roofing projects trying to finish today as rain arrives tomorrow again. We have a professional roofer overseeing the 2 jobs which are going well. We have groups from Fairfax, VA; Allentown, PA; Cincinnata, OH; Westlake, CA; and New Alexandria, PA. They are all mixed up on the work crews which they wanted and liked to do as they get to know other people better. Anyone willing to be on a roof regardless where they were from got assigned to a roofing job. That is still a priority here before winter and the rainy season starts.

Next week a large group (57) from Corvallis and the Cascade Presbytery in OR are coming to Luling, LA. I'm planning to get over there one day to see them and visit with them. I know a couple people coming so I'm excited about that. It's always special to see people from home.

God's blessings on you this week. Take care.
Phyllis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home