Friday, September 01, 2006

Arrival in MS Sep 1

I had a good trip to MS this morning. I left Portland OR at 12:30am and arrived in Gulfport at 9 am via Houston. The weather was so nice and clear nearly all the way. Everytime I looked out the window I could see the lights below, no clouds. As we were approaching Houston about 6 am, I could see the curve in the horizon and the red in the sky as daylight was coming soon. Course, we were flying at 30,000 feet so is quite a view. I managed to sleep most of the trip which was good. I am tired today so hopefully I will sleep well tonight.

I talked with Elizabeth who is the manager coordinator as she explained about the Young Adult Volunteers (YAV's) and the training and what is happening in the villages now. She was glad to see me back. She had been the village manager at Orange Grove village when I was here in April and May so I know her. Wilf who is the field operations manager (logistics and maintenance) also was so glad to see me and gave me big hugs. He was my resource for a number of things before.

I got the keys to my truck and drove to Gautier to check it out as no one has been there for 3 or more weeks. So it is all closed down, locked up where they could put a lock, etc. The doors on the huts have been fixed so they don't blow open anymore!! Every thing in the tool tent was loaded onto trailers and moved to Orange Grove so this weekend we will have to take them back, reorganize and put it all away. The air conditioners are locked into a hut so need to get them back out and hooked up. My first group arrives on Sept 6 so need to be ready for them.

Enough for my first day.
Phyllis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home