Thursday, November 09, 2006

Nov 9

My day has not started out well but there was one big highlight for the day. We got a load of crushed concrete delivered to our driveway about 7:40 am. Mike Martin, the landowner, arranged for it yesterday and then he spread it out. All the volunteers were excited to see something cover the mud and ruts from our rain this week as they watched the whole process.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to visit a couple of worksites. It is always good to see the crews working and they are happy to see me. I want to see what type of work is being done as well as interact with them as they show me what they are doing. At one place I got to meet the homeowners who were working along side the volunteers. This couple have a large house and need lots of help. But she was glad to meet me as we have talked a lot on the phone since April and they remember me. (Is that good? Yes or I think so anyway.) We have a large group on a roof for the rest of week as we need to keep doing roofing every week, if possible.

It is a special feeling as the groups get their tools or equipment that is needed on the job and get loaded in their cars. Mical is in the red truck with large items as ladders, wheelbarrow, etc and leads the way with other cars following him to the new work site. As the "troops" all leave, it becomes very quiet in the village with only me. I go back to check the kitchen and dining areas to be sure everything is cleaned up and put away. Then I start checking food inventory for the meals that day and the next day. there are always phone calls, email, paperwork to keep up, so the day goes.

It is so neat to have clear skies and sunshine. I'm sorry to hear about all the rain and flooding in Oregon and Washington this week. The Red Cross in Portland even called me (down here)to help with a shelter but I am a little far away. Take care.

Phyllis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home