Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Wednesday Nov 22

I now have 4 groups totaling 32 in my village this week. The last group came yesterday afternoon from GA. As I finished my orientation with them I realized that this was the last orientation I would give to groups. It was like a "thud" when reality hit. I enjoy talking to the groups and letting them know what to expect in the village and in the community, rules, about PDA and Presbytery of MS and the differences, getting people signed up for meals, clean up after meals, and clean up in the village. These groups all leave Sat after I'm gone so that will seem strange.

I have another story about a homeowner we've been helping the last couple weeks. Today much progress was done as they finally got some kitchen cabinets for her and a sink and bathroom door. She lives in a mobile home and couldn't get a FEMA trailer. She had water so the inside had to gutted. They have lived in it for a year with no heat, no air conditioning, doing dishes in a plastic tub in the bathtub, cooking in the microwave or a hot plate, no doors to any rooms. Volunteers at her house were humbled by her existance and not complaining. There is still a lot to do, however.

I'm still freezing that I have felt that may be something wrong with me so will have some doctor appts next week. I don't feel like I'm functioning as I should which bothers me. Even the trailer seems cold as they must not be insulated. The only warm place today was in the truck with the sun shining in and the heater on. The temp did go above 60 today and is to be 70 by the weekend, when I leave.

Mon night Mical and I went over to Orange Grove village for their Thanksgiving dinner for PDA staff, etc. Everyone is to be gone the rest of the week as they have no volunteers this week. I have invited people from other villages to mine for Thanksgiving dinner Thur plus some special guests. (You will have to read this late Thur or Fri for details.)

Happy Thanksgiving to y'all.
Phyllis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home